Punjab government may soon release funds to clear the pending scholarship funds for Scheduled Caste students in the state. On Tuesday, CM Amarinder Singh ordered the Finance Department of the state to release Rs 118.42 crore to clear the backlog of pending scholarship funds for Scheduled Caste students studying in 634 colleges of Punjab.
1. The official, after the CM’s announcement, said that the backlog pertains to the fiscal 2015-16 and 2016-17. The statement came after the Chief Minister announced his decision following his meeting with Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot, along with MLA Jalandhar West Sushil Kumar Rinku.
2. Rs 118.42 crore, Rs 67.42 crore would be released for the students studying in 312 colleges, including degree colleges, technical and medical education institutes, as per the govt.
3. While the remaining Rs 51 crore would go to students of 322 colleges in the same streams, as well as students of School Council of Education Research and Training (SCERT) institutes.
4. The Chief Minister directed the Finance Department to accord top priority to release of regular funds for the scholarship beneficiaries so as to enable them to complete their education in different streams seamlessly.
5. The decision is taken to reiterate the government’s commitment to ensure the welfare of the Scheduled Caste students in the state.