A career in medicine is one of the oldest and most respected professions; it allows you the potential to impact human life in a way that is truly unique and the job satisfaction you get is unparalleled. A field in which one needs to put others first, medicine is truly a service and not just a profession. The hard work and countless hours one needs to invest in studying medicine can come across as an arduous task, but the power to save lives is well-worth the effort.
10 reasons why you should choose a career in Medicine:
There are many reasons why students choose to study medicine from personal calling to job stability. Although everyone has his or her own motivations, there are myriads of practical aspects that can make medicine a desirable career option.
1. This career is not only a service to the society but also one that will give you respect.
2. The financial gains in the profession may not be comparable to some other professions but there is an inherent stability as it isn’t as susceptible to downfall as numerous other careers.
3. Stability alongside satisfaction is what people aim for in their lives, and the field of medicine is a preferable way to achieve this.
4. This is a diverse and vast field where one never ceases to learn. The basic medical degree(MBBS) is just the initial stage in gaining knowledge and competence for a future in medicine where you strive for the common good.
5. The 5.5 years bachelor’s degree in medicine (4.5 years for MBBS + 1 year of Internship) can introduce you to a whole new world of possibilities. After 5.5 years of training, some graduates decide to practice medicine while others chose to study further specialisations like surgery, dermatology, medicine etc.
6. Apart from pursuing a career as a doctor, one can also look for a career in medical research or can become a medical scientist.
7. There’s also the option of opening up a consultancy for various health related programmes. The heads of medicinal businesses are also now beginning to opt for a degree in medical sciences to raise their capabilities.
8. In this field, you are on a path of continuous progress. Constant development and upgrade in technology require you to adapt to brand new innovative ideas and equipment. Dealing with patients regularly makes you empathise with others better which, in turn, add value to your medical practice.
9. This field is for the ones who love to challenge themselves every day. One needs to possess strong decision-making skills to shape a career in medicine. Real time thinking and rightly employing knowledge is an essential part of a medical practitioners’ job; one small mistake can affect someone’s life to a great extent. Compassion towards humanity, stronger belief system and desire to bring a positive change are the driving forces for finding success in the world of medicine.
10. Through this field, one can aim to reach the global stage, albeit with perseverance and utmost dedication. Wearing a white coat gives you a big responsibility, a responsibility of improving people’s lives. Only a doctor can truly understand how joyous it is when he or she saves a life of a patient which is in the clutches of a life-threatening disease. The impact of an antidote discovered by you could save millions of lives across the world. This is the incomparable joy and satisfaction that leads many to opt for medicine as a profession.
With the world moving forward in such a fast pace, people are becoming increasingly negligent towards their health. While being constantly surrounded by technologies and leading a work-oriented lifestyle, the Gen Z is even more vulnerable to ill health. Owing to the factors like increasing advent of diseases and present day lifestyles, the need of good medical professionals is constantly increasing.